World Championships in badminton for teams wins in three setsoktober 17, 2021 5:30
World Championships for teams, Thomas & Uber Cup, was for the first time played in Europe, as Denmark hosted the event. World Championships for teams men and women is the most prestigious of all, and all the big stars were gathered under one roof.
It was quiet the redemption that Thomas & Uber Cup finally was played this week in Aarhus, after it had been postponed three times due to Covid-19. It was just as redeeming that the event ran smoothly, and that everyone from players, officials, spectators, volunteers, and partners only had nice things to say to the organizers.
– It has been wonderful to experience the TotalEnergies BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals in Aarhus, Denmark. The event brings with it so much prestige and joy. We have seen Aarhus provide the setting for the world’s best teams to produce enthralling action throughout the nine-day long competition, says Thomas Lund, secretary general, Badminton World Federation and adds:
– There have been many, many great moments from the Thomas & Uber Cup Finals, but a highlight for me is the returning audience in Aarhus. The atmosphere in the arena that the spectators have brought to welcome the players onto court, particularly the Danish team but also the other participants, have been heartfelt and something we haven’t seen in a very long time.
The Danish organizers also reflect on the staging of the event.
– It was really a pity that we didn’t get to the Thomas Cup final. Even though we are disappointed, both our women’s and men’s team delivered great performances and reached their goals. That being said, we created a beautiful setting with many spectators and an intense atmosphere. In terms of the staging, we went into the third set due to the postponements last year.
– It is therefore with great joy that we in cooperation with Aarhus Municipality and Sport Event Denmark finally were able to stage Thomas & Uber Cup Finals. My permanent staff and the many volunteers have provided a huge effort and been an invaluable foundation in creating this historic event says Bo Jensen, director in Badminton Denmark.
Just as the director of the federation, the director of Sport Event Denmark is extremely satisfied with the staging of the World Championships for teams:
– The staging of Thomas & Uber Cup was a big redemption. After the many postponements, it was fantastic to witness world class badminton on home soil. The atmosphere has been outstanding, and huge, huge praise to both Badminton Denmark and Aarhus for their persistence and beautiful setup.
– As Denmark hosted the individual World Championships in 2014, the bar was set high, and this week it was raised even further. It looks very promising for 2023, when Denmark once again will be home soil for the individual World Championships, says Lars Lundov, CEO, Sport Event Denmark
China beats Japan in the final
Denmark lost in the quarterfinal to Korea
Indonesia beats China in the final
The Danes lost in the semifinal to Indonesia
TotalEnergies BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals 2020 was played in Ceres Park & Arena, Aarhus, 9th-17th of October 2021. Denmark is the first country in Europe to host TotalEnergies BWF Thomas & Uber Cup
TotalEnergies BWF Thomas & Uber Cup 2020 was originally scheduled to be played in May 2020, but due to Covid-19, the Championships were first postponed to August, later October, before the final postponement to 2021
Number of volunteers: 500
Denmark has hosted the individual World Championships in 2014, 1999, 1991, and 1983, and Sudirman Cup, World Championships for mixed teams in 1991 and 1999.
The Danish Thomas Cup national team was the first European nation ever to win Thomas Cup in 2016. The men’s team won bronze at the last World Championships for teams in Thailand 2018.
The Danish Uber Cup national team has never won the World Championships, but has been runner ups in 1957, 1960 and 2000.
Sponsors and partners
Together with TotalEnergies BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals 2020 sponsors, TotalEnergies (title sponsor), HSBC, Yonex, Moutai, GoDaddy, 188BET, Danisa, Mille Food, and the partners BWF, Aarhus Municipality, Sport Event Denmark, Salling Fonds and ViaBiler